On 22nd April, millions of people around the world mark Earth Day with the aim of raising awareness of the changes needed to protect our planet and preserve it for future generations.
We recognise that the idyllic tropical paradise of our resort, Komandoo Maldives and the surrounding coral reef ecosystem, is fragile and we strive to make a difference and do all we can to protect it as detailed in our Sustainability Report. Located so close to the Equator, sunshine is in plentiful supply and by harnessing this with our array of solar panels we are able to contribute to the electricity needed to power our resort and thereby cutting CO2 emissions. Our team of housekeeping champions are also taking advantage of the sun by line drying a proportion of the laundry instead of using the dryers. We plant trees – over 2,000 so far, we say ‘no’ to plastic, we ask our suppliers to minimise packaging and source products sustainably and we’ve even set up our own ‘Green Club’ to promote awareness of of environmental practices needed for a healthy life, both on our island and in local communities. Here at Komandoo we are proud to say that our efforts have been recognised by the TravelLife Gold Award but we won’t stop there – we are always looking for ways to improve what we do.
10 easy steps you can take at home to make a positive change for the environment:
- Recycle paper, plastic and glass
- Change your paper bills to online billing – you’ll be saving trees and the fuel it takes for delivery
- Compost kitchen scraps for use in your garden — turning waste into fertilizer
- Turn off and unplug electronics you’re not using
- Lower the temperature on your water heater and home heating
- Use a ‘bag for life’
- Say ‘no’ to single use plastics
- Walk or ride a bike instead of using the car
- Shop locally
- Replace inefficient incandescent light bulbs with efficient CFLs or LEDs
Join us at Komandoo in taking small steps to make a big change for the environment.