Here at Komandoo Maldives Resort we are committed to reducing the amount of plastic used on the island. As well as the policies already in place, we are constantly striving to push new ideas forward in a bid to help reduce global plastic pollution. The Maldives is known for its pristine islands, coral reef ecosystems and incredible marine life, no one wants to see plastic harming this beautiful environment.
What is being done at Komandoo to reduce plastic waste?
- Water is provided at villas, bars and restaurants in glass bottles, filled at the water bottling plant on nearby Kuredu.
- Paper straws have replaced plastic versions at all bars and restaurants – you can now sip your cocktail safe in the knowledge that the straw won’t end up in the ocean.
- Plastic garbage bags are no longer used.
- Eco-friendly bags are placed in all rooms for you to take your used plastic home with you.
- Wooden cotton buds will be provided in all villas
- Soft drinks will be supplied in cans rather than plastic bottles
We regularly collect plastic bottles that is washed up on the island or reefs, and this year they are being put to a very festive use – they will be used to make the resort’s Christmas tree!
We would like to thank our guests and team for supporting us in our mission to reduce plastic use at the resort and thereby helping to protect our very special environment.